Friday, October 10, 2014

Handling Anxiety In College

For those who don't already know, I have a good amount of anxiety.
I'm constantly stressed, and I'll admit that I bring that stress upon myself.
I take lots of classes, involve myself in many extracurriculars, and tend to procrastinate.

Being at a new school in Utah has given me a much-needed fresh start. I've found a few new coping mechanisms for my anxiety (no medication needed). I know that moving to a new place without family or friends can bring stress, so I've decided to share six tips and tricks I've learned.

1. Don't skip meals.
I know waking up 20 minutes earlier is hard, but making yourself that smoothie before class is going to help you through the day. Even if you have a huge paper due tonight at midnight and you only have your abstract done, make sure you go to dinner. Not eating is going to make you hungry, tired, and moody. Those extra, negative emotions are going to make your mind wander, making it harder to concentrate and get stuff done.

2. Make sure you sleep.
I've mentioned this in previous "being healthy in college" posts, but seriously! Naps are great! 7-8 hours of sleep per night is recommended! I swear if I hear one more person say "Well, I only got 4 hours of sleep last night, so I'm going to sleep 10 tonight," I'm going to throw a rock.
Catching up on sleep isn't a thing.
You're only going to corrupt your sleeping pattern even more.

3. Exercise 
While doing your 60 minutes of exercise everyday is ideal, we don't always have the time. I'll admit, I only do about 45 minutes, 4 days a week! But I also make sure to walk to all my classes, on campus meals, on campus activities, etc. and use the stars in my dorm. Take advantage of the walk!

4. Yoga/Meditation
I'm going to admit it. I'm not a yoga person. I'm not flexible or patient. However, I found a few yoga stretches I can do quickly and easily every night. I take a minimum of 15 minutes per night to stretch (mostly my hips; thats where I tend to hold the most stress) and then spend about 5 minutes after to meditate. When I say "meditate," I mean that I sit cross legged on my floor in a dimly-lit room and just relax. I focus on my posture and clearing my thoughts. Doing this before bed each night helps me fall asleep faster, which eliminates tiredness and eventual stress.

5. Aromatherapy 
After I shower before bed, I use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Bedtime Lotion. Okay, that sounds weird, but it is an aromatherapy lotion designed to help you fall asleep easier. While some of you may not believe in aromatherapy, you may understand that having a set pattern you complete before bed does help wind the body down and mentally prepare yourself for sleep. It builds associations. For example, when you put lotion on, do yoga, or brush your hair before bed, etc., your mind realizes that you're getting ready for bed because you've built these associations by doing the same thing before bed every night before (yeah. psychology.). For my entire pattern, I shower with Bath & Body Works "Stress" body wash from their aromatherapy line. After, I braid my hair and use either Johnson & Johnson's bedtime baby lotion or Bath & Body Works "Sleep" lotion to rehydrate my skin. Then I'll complete my yoga & meditation routine. If I have the time, I'll sit in a comfy chair and read for a few minutes, then turn on my fan and get into bed (I should say "climb" into bed considering the extreme height of my bed, but that's a story for another time).



6. Organize!
Ever since my junior year of high school, I've been attached to my planner. I get a new one every year, and when I misplace it, I admit, I sometimes cry. Seriously, those things are a life saver! I generally write the times of my classes for the day, meal times, and study times/breaks. I also add in events and such when needed. It helps me take a deep breath and say Okay, self. It's all here. 
My planner looks like this:
It's from Target and I love it! I pick the size depending on my course calendar for the semester/year. The more classes I take, the more space I need.


Hope these ideas help! Midterms are almost here, which means stress! Try new things and figure out which ones help you stay focused and calm. 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram